Section 4 Indian Penal Code, Section 4 IPC
4. Extension of Code to extra-territorial offences.—The provisions of this Code apply also to any offence committed by—
(1) any citizen of India in any place without and beyond India;
(2) any person on any ship or aircraft registered in India wherever it may be.
1[(3) any person in any place without and beyond India committing offence targeting a computer resource located in India.]
2[Explanation.—In this section—
(a) the word “offence” includes every act committed outside India which, if committed in India, would be punishable under this Code;
(b) the expression “computer resource” shall have the meaning assigned to it in clause (k) of sub-section (1) of section 2 of the Information Technology Act, 2000 (21 of 2000);]
A, who is a citizen of India, commits a murder in Uganda. He can be tried and convicted of murder in any place in India in which he may be found.
1. Ins. by Act 10 of 2009, s. 51 (w.e.f. 27-10-2009).
2. Subs. by s. 51, ibid., for the Explanation (w.e.f. 27-10-2009).